Jämsä is a vibrant and developing city in the middle of Finland, by Lake Päijänne. Jämsä combines the opportunity to live close to nature, diverse hobbies and great opportunities for work and study.
In addition to Lake Päijänne, Himos and the beautiful nature, Jämsä is well-known for its industries. Many other business activities have been built around UPM’s mill in Jämsänkoski and the Patria Group’s aviation and composite industry. The ski centre Himos is one of Finland’s best-known tourist centres. UPM’s mill in Kaipola was closed down in January 2021. Approximately 500 employees worked at the mill until its closure.
Jämsä has a considerable surface area. Its area of 1824 square kilometres has plenty of potential. Approximately 86% of the surface area is covered by land, and the rest, or 14%, consists of inland water. At the end of August 2021, the number of residents in Jämsä was 19,837.
Jämsä borders with Juupajoki, Jyväskylä, Keuruu, Kuhmoinen, Luhanka (water border), Mänttä-Vilppula, Petäjävesi and Orivesi.
Distance between Jämsä and the largest cities
Helsink 223 km, Joensuu 302 km, Jyväskylä 58 km, Kuopio 202 km, Lahti 119 km, Mikkeli 164 km, Oulu 395 km, Pori 206 km, Rovaniemi 602 km, Seinäjoki 193 km, Tampere 92 km, Turku 248 km ja Vaasa 271 km.